Thursday, September 10, 2009

Checklist

I like lists. There is a certain satisfaction in the whole process. But sometimes the satisfaction is just the added bonus in the daunting task of trying to keep your life organized. Right now I feel like I am swirling in a pool of lists--wedding lists, work lists, doctors lists. Circles upon circles upon circles. I keep trying to keep up...I'm not running, but I am walking. Let's just see if I can keep up (sleep will help!).

Wedding planning is coming along really nicely. It helps that I have a mother and and aunt who've been waiting for this since my birth 33 years ago. It also helps that my soon to be mother-in-law is also amazing at getting things done!!! The wedding is a bright ball of sunshine every time I think about it. It all seems to be falling together so nicely despite the weeks of uncertainty.

Before going to the oncologist yesterday I convinced myself that I would start treatment before the wedding. Chemo is once every 15 days. I figured I'd get one in before, and the second directly after. My thought was--- spacing would leave me feeling okay for the wedding, and would see me on my way to recovery. My mom talked to a nurse practitioner at Emory, my aunt Sandy talked to her doctor friend, and my own oncologist also thought that waiting for treatment until after the wedding would be okay. I also talked to a colleague at work. His wife waited 6 weeks from diagnosis until treatment to start. So I have all these people saying it is okay to wait. To enjoy the wedding without feeling sick, and without having to show a port in all my wedding photos. So I keep thinking, yes...this will be okay. But why do I keep thinking that I want to get started?? Maybe because I feel it, I feel the tumors, and each time I do I have to brace myself for the reality of what that means. Ahhh...but it sure would be nice to celebrate love and happiness without complication.

SO, on to lists....

Before I can start I need to:
  • Get full body CT scans--done
  • Get a Pet Scan--done
  • Get a MUGA scan for the heart--done
  • Schedule a pulmonary function test. My heart test looked GREAT! They have to check my lungs too as the chemo can ruin lungs and heart. Not these ones though!
  • Get pulmonary function test
  • Schedule an appointment with the Radiation Oncologist--done
  • Meet with the Radiation oncologist
  • Schedule an appointment to get a port put in--done although this prompted an additional scheduling with the nurse practitioner to go over health history and get valium.
  • Get the port put in
  • Get flu shots
  • Talk with the chemotherapy nurses to determine the schedule. I get the port put in on Tuesday, October 6th, and hope to start chemo the 7th.
  • Draw blood for all baseline Metametrix tests, and genetic testing
  • Send all bloodwork since the dawn of Metametrix time to Becky Murray who is gracioulsy helping me through this with our type of medicine.
  • Schedule bone marrow biopsy--done. Wednesday...yikes. I am scared about this.
  • Get bone marrow biopsy
  • Set up appointment with Progressive Medical's oncologist to discuss alternative therapies such as vitamin IV's.
  • Find the best support team a girl could ask for--DONE!!!!!
I can't tell you how much your outpouring of love and support help through this scary time.

photo by: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pingu1963/3429078646/

9 comments:

  1. thinking about you here in athens, eve.
    love,
    bob.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a good thing that you like to be organized and like lists. Even better that you are checking so much off your lists! To me, all those lists are like mini torture devices. :)
    I am so glad that all the professionals are working with you in supplementing your treatment according to your wishes. I feel that is so important! If you are okay with it. I want to send you little Reikii treatments every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are in our hearts!
    What ever it takes to keep you happy, remember think happy thoughts Evie!
    You will be the most beautiful bride ever.

    Mom Rin

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is quite a list... and you're just doing it!
    I heard once cancer is about the spiritual desire to grow - grow - grow... all that is done in steps, one by one, too - so maybe the next time the urge to hurry with the chemo comes you can give those tumors a nod, "No need to rush" - we're moving down the checklist, becoming that new person your oncologist spoke of. We'll do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Celebrating love and happiness without complication"

    Lately, I've been finding that complications tend to draw from friends the most sincere and heartfelt expressions of love ... All the greater reason to celebrate love despite difficult times.

    As for lists, Eve, I'm your #1 fan!

    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Evie! the list looks long, but I'm glad you've got lots of support and advisors through this process. On the BMB, I hope it goes as painlessly as possible. The second you feel discomfort, I would ask for more anesthesia. You might also check with the staff to make sure you have an experienced person doing it - before it starts.

    I'll be thinking about you - on Wed especially and in general as well.

    *love*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heather. I questioned the doctor about the pain, and how awful it was, and he introduced me to the nurse practitioner who would be doing. Apparently she's been doing it awhile.

    Thanks to all of you for your support!!! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey lady! Any comment on your BMB today? I hope it was unremarkable.

    !Love!

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha, hey lady! NO, not unremarkable, unfortunately. :) Love back!!!!! Thanks for checking in.

    ReplyDelete