Wednesday, September 16, 2009

BMB


Okay.  So.  Whew.  How to find words to describe that experience.  Right now I am sitting on my screened in porch listening to this beautiful thunderstorm--one of my favorite things in the world to do.  But as I sit here I can't help but feel like I just stuck my finger in an electrical socket. I am drained, and fried, and feel like a puddle of mush.  Oh, and I have a pain in my ass. 

So today I went in for the bone marrow biospy.  And apparently in addition, they needed some of my bone too.  Par for the course, I didn't sleep well last night, and was already feeling a little on edge.  Sleep helps me SO much with the coping skills.  But my subconscious knew that I had this doctor's appt. today...so.  ...

Mom and I drove together to the doctor's office.  It was the NP that was doing the procedure, I'd met her before and she's been doing this for several years.  She spent some time with us discussing the procedure.  Now granted, she never said this wasn't going to hurt.  And Heather properly warned me about this, um, what were your words darling?  "That was probably the worst part of the whole treatment!"?  So I am a little nervous.  But am trying to hold it together.  Mom is there, talking tough, and supportive.  This will be done in no time, etc...

So now it is time to get on the table.  I hike my dress up, she hikes my panties down, and makes sure I am all sterile.  From there, I don't even know.  It was horrible.  She didn't get the aspirate on the first try.  I was hyperventilating so bad I thought I was going to pass out...enter cold cloths...Second try, a go! But the aspirate is only the first step. 

Second step, bone.  So she goes in again...and just when she pulls out and we think we are all done, she sees the bone core didn't come out!!  So she had to go in again...apparantly the lidocaine decided to stop working and it hurt like even worse hell. I thought I could muscle through--just get it done-- she tried, but it was just so painful. I was  just screaming. She was nervous, so she just pulled out and gave me more lidocaine (which the shot in itself isn't too pleasanat). So then she goes in again, and it is at  this point I realize the hand of my mother's that I've been gripping like a vice clamp  from the beginning is gone, and she is sitting down behind me and asking for water.  Talk about a tough thing for a mother to watch as her child is screaming on the table. The way she tells her near pass out experience in itself  brings humor and incredible sweetness...and we are all glad she didn't pass out.

Try two for the bone was also unsuccessful.   At this point, mom was recovered, and the nurse went in again.  We grinned and beared that sucker.  The NP was staying cool, the nurse in the background was coaching my breathing.  Too bad with all this to do there wasn't a baby coming out the other end.  (not saying this was anything like having a baby).  Third try a charm!  Thankfully.  We got to see the bone piece, and we, all 4 of us, just took lots of deep breaths and realized we made it through the other end. 

I know so much of what I experienced was my brain getting the better of me. I probably have felt pain just as bad and not have given it as much thought--a hit on the funny bone, a fall off the sea-doo. Maybe. I often wonder if that by going through this whole experience I will come out better in the end if I can learn a way to quiet the mind and relax a little.  That being said, I am NEVER doing that again without some sort of mind numbing substance. 

After the procedue, I told the NP and the nurses about where I work.  "We work in this laboratory, and sometimes local docs send their patients in to get blood draws.  Many of these patients are autistic.  My office is near the blood draw room, and when these kids come in, they are terrified.  They scream and yell, and it ends up being this traumatic experience for all involved."  I felt a kinship with these poor autistic kids.  The fear can consume. 

I also thought of Curtis and Honeybear.  When we take them to the vet the shake uncontrolably.  It is so sad to see the way they show fear.  On that table I was shaking so badly, and I couldn't control it. 

So there we are, one step closer to beating the monster.  Heather, I hope you are right, I hope this is the worst part.  On the way home mom and I chuckled and said, yeah, chemo doesn't seem that bad right now.  A little nausea, a little fatigue....

As angry as I am about things, it is hard to ignore the sweetness.  This thunderstorm is melting the stress away. let it rain...did I say that??  Yeah, it is healing.  Michael just got home.  My mom and I have bonded in a whole new way, and I know she truly is here on this journey with me.  (not that I didn't know that before). 

I got sweet voicemails and emails today from folks.  I am now going to be considered daughter-in-love instead of daughter-in-law, I like that. 

So there you go, that's the story of the bone marrow biopsy today.  Don't ask me to rant about whether or not I really felt it was necessary to begin with...I'll save that for another day.

Oh, and one final side note...the NP did tell us in casual conversation...I don't know how this feels, but I can say that after doing these, if I had to do this, I'd definitely do this in the hospital under sedation.   ...  This was before the procedure.

7 comments:

  1. You have me in tears even while I chuckle.
    Dear Evie! dear, dear Evie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look up to you, eve, for many things. But right now I'm thinking: courage.

    I picture your power stance you did in a belly dance performance in athens. Uuuwaaaahhh! Way to take life, standing up, face on. You even get right back up when it slaps you down.

    Your proud brother,
    Aug

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uggh that made me cringe - thankful for sedation!! That's why the bone marrow biopsy wasn't a big deal for me...I was in "twilight"!
    On that note- make sure they give you the skin numbing stuff for your first chemo (it takes about 20 minutes to kick in - so you need to have it ahead of time). They won't offer it automatically, you'll have to ask. You probably won't need it after the first time, but you'll appreciate it if you had the port installed the day prior...
    Hugs! Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh..Patty, you have always been the one to make me chuckle and tear. Looks like you have taught me well :)

    Augustin! I can't believe you remember that performance. That one in particular is so dear to my heart as that was our first Shakti Project performance....ahhhhh.....talk about magic and power!!! UUuuuuuwaaaaaahh!! yes!!

    And Rebecca, I think you are the only person I've heard of who was spared that barbaric procedure. I think it almost malpractice to do that to someone without giving sedation in this day and age. Thanks so much for the recommendation for the numbing agent for chemo. I will definitely ask for that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww damn. I'm so sorry Eve!

    For my first BMB, I had a physician's assistant. I asked Al and T to wait outside the office, so it was just me in the room. Like yours, she missed the bone a few times - she kept stabbing into me like I was a baked potato about to go into the microwave. Apparently, in cases of leukemia and other diseases, the bone marrow stops being spongy and it gets harder to get good samples. She kept apologizing while I called out to a deity I don't even believe in.

    Reading now, I hope that I didn't get your anxiety up, I just wanted you to know the truth. Thinking back to my own, I had read up on the procedure before I went in. I know I was nervous due to the expectations from the reading, but it turned out to be worse than the internet indicated.

    I'm so sorry it was so awful. I'm glad your mom was there. The second time I had one, the woman was much more experienced and shot me up locally many, many times. And, Al was there.

    I don't look forward to the next. And, I hope for your and every other cancer patient's sake that the worst is well over - for good.

    Ugh. *more love*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and just a note on the pain and the nature of why it is so bad - I think its because it comes from deep inside, from a place where we've never been touched before. It was perhaps on a scale with something I've felt before, but certainly not LIKE anything I'd felt before. It was unique. The body's reaction is so primal, wanting to run, to escape, the feeling is so unnatural and yet, you have to bear it and normally, when pain like that comes, you do everything to leave it behind. And, meanwhile, they just keep digging away while your whole body arches and reacts - starting from inside your bones.

    I know its a dramatic sort of view, but in my mind, its the only one that fits.

    I'm curious to see why you think they're unnecessary. But, perhaps that's a talk for the phone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. FROM SARA H...
    Oh Evie...I just remembered your blog and I'm checking it for the first time in a few weeks. I am speechless, and I am so sorry you're having to go through all this. I just can't believe that, KNOWING they're going to take chunk of bone--that they don't fully put you under. But this line is the funniest you have said/written: "Too bad with all this to do there wasn't a baby coming out the other end." I laughed out loud at that one, and I'm still chuckling. You are a brave girl, and I love you much! Sara

    ReplyDelete