Saturday, April 10, 2010

Spring has sprung


It is a glorious spring morning in Georgia as I sit here and sip my weekend cup of coffee, with Pandora--Aretha Franklin radio and Curtis keeping me company.  Michael had to work this morning so I've been putzing around the house and just enjoying feeling alive.  I've made the morning rounds to the garden, and our spring peas are coming along nicely.  Cucumbers are just beginning to poke their heads out of the ground, and the radishes are trying to give it their all. The trees are blooming, and our yard is bursting with every color of the rainbow.   It is sunny and crisp, and just overall so pleasant and invigorating. 

In a week my women's circle begins.  I am so excited for this.  I've longed for a circle like this since I left Athens and that beautiful community of women there.  I'll never forget the thrill I felt during yoga class those many months past at Zen Tea, our local tea shop.  I was surrounded by women, and it struck me--yes!  I can make this happen!  Let's do this here, and create this community!  So I did it, and I've got a group of 10 women, some I know, and some I don't but will soon.  I've been dreaming about this circle each night this week as I've been planning and reading and preparing for it.  I always awaken feeling happy. 

Michael and I started Boot Camp at work this week.  It is subsidized by Metametrix, and is directly after work, so it makes it SO easy to attend.  Although--the workout itself is anything but easy.  We've been laughing all week about how sore we are!!!  You should see us get in and out of the car.  But, it feels good to move the body again and it also feels good to know that I can do it!

Another thing that started this week was my menses! I share only because you've journeyed with me during this adventure and know that that was a major stress for us, and the reason why we decided to stop chemo early.  So we are feeling relief for the return of my femininity.  Now let's focus on that clean PET scan in June!!

My final thoughts for the morning come back to our honeymoon.  We had an amazing time--it was probably the most relaxing vacation we've ever been on.  There was lots and lots of relaxing on the porch of the Aerie overlooking the marsh.  We played scrabble, rummy, cooked delicious food, and watched Moulin Rouge again ("the greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return"....sigh....). I read a lot.  We did make it to the beach everyday--something Curtis absolutely loved!  The last time he was at Kiawah his knee was injured and he couldn't walk very well. It was nice to see how far he has come after his two knee surgeries this year.  He ran and chased those birds just like he was a puppy again.
On Wednesday morning we got up at 5 am and drove an hour north to launch the canoe at the Isle of Palms for our 6 mile canoe trip to Capers Island. We put in just at dawn, and the water was like glass, with the occasional dolphin playing at dawn. It was magical.  We made it to the island around 9 and spent the rest of the day relaxing in the hammock and taking in the simple beauty.  After a fire and a magical night outdoors, we returned the next day to more relaxing at the Aerie on Kiawah.

We finally visited Angel Oak, which is just stunning (see below--look for Michael!).  Friday night we went to a concert on the square, and Saturday night we went to Cassique to soak in the hot tub and enjoy a romantic dinner at sunset with the most delicious food!  It was the perfect end to the perfect honeymoon.
(angel oak)
 (I made fun of Michael because he smiles funny in photos..so this was his response...)
 (the picnic basket and wine was a honeymoon gift from my dear friend Karen from the clinic. The basket was FULL of goodies, she totally spoiled us so I was happy we could use it on our honeymoon.)
(our view from dinner Saturday night)
So those are my thoughts this beautiful Saturday morning.  I hope you all enjoy this weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Evie, this is glorious! I enjoyed every word and every photo. You two look so happy. I'm glad you picked Kiawah for your honeymoon since it was probably the most stress-free and relaxing place you could have gone. Dad and I are glad to share that lovely place with you two very special people. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Mom! Yes, I agree, Kiawah was the perfect place for us (it was, afterall, named the second best vacation spot in America!). You two are so generous to share such a lovely spot with people. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. We actually really appreciated our parent's this trip--you all with the gorgeous space, and then Michael's for loaning us the awesome camera and equipping us with the coolest TENT and sleeping bag we've ever had!! I think we'll keep ya'll :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love me some Eve!

    ReplyDelete