Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Friendship

So here I sit...6 weeks away from being finished with chemo.  6 weeks left out of 6 months! Whew.  It is an interesting feeling. 

This last round wasn't that bad--a mild in the scheme of things.  I can't help but wonder (I sound like the sex in the city chick) if it has a lot to do with the fact that I am almost done. And that the cancer is gone, so I don't have to worry about what if it weren't and all that that would mean.  And that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.  Or if it doesn't feel as bad because I am not killing as many cells, because they are all gone.  Guess it doesn't matter, as long as it wasn't too horrible, right! I'll take it. 

So now I am decreasing my time at Progressive Medical, the alternative medical clinic I've been going to since September.  And I realize I haven't talked much about that experience.  I mean, I've mentioned that I get vitamin C IVs there, and hyperbaric oxygen treatments.  But really, as time is coming to a close, I realize that it has been much much more than that.  Much more.

I've religiously been going there four days a week for months now.  Each morning I show up at 9 AM, find my spot and wait to get blood pressure taken and IV connected.  My spot was in the back corner.  I picked it because it was by a wall, so I'd only have one other chair next to me, instead of two, so I would only have to talk to one other person if it came to that.  And, it was near a plug in the wall for my computer.  I came prepped with my ipod, and my computer.  And I tuned out the world.  That is until I started making friends.

Fast forward to today.  My beloved corner chair is now not 'mine' anymore, but my dear friend Karen's.  It is the healing chair, and she will be healed next.  Let me tell  you about Karen.  She is a force.  She is one of those people who you will always remember the day you meet them. Her presence fills the room, and in a good way. She is incredibly friendly, engaging, and interested.  She is kind, compassionate, passionate and a champion for the people she loves.  I've gotten to meet some of her beautiful family.  And it makes my heart swell.  Karen will fight for you to the death.  That is the kind of friend she is.  That is a quality I'd like to have more of.  I can't wait to hear the news that she's on the other side of this battle.  Because she will be there one day soon. I just know it. 

So yes, today...(I don't know how to tell a good story)...I come in a bit late, because I attended grand rounds at metametrix, and people are already there--Karen, and other dear friends who I've come to know through this experience.  We are all there all the time.  The cancer patients that is.  And actually, I misspeak. There are a lot of other regulars who are there treating different obstacles.  So it becomes a family.  The regulars, and the nurses.  So I show up, and I've been worried again about my port, and it not giving blood return.  This has been an ongoing problem.  It didn't give blood yesterday.  And today I am sitting there, chatting with the girls--my friends, my family--and the nurse hooks the syringe up, and what do you know?? Blood return!!!  Hallelujah.  And everyone cheers.  It is crazy, this support system.  And then we all laugh about the strange things that make us happy these days.  I was SO happy that the nurse could suck blood out of my chest.  This was a genuine happiness.  This is so strange if you think about it.  But that is what it was.  Blood out of the chest = good.  And we were all happy.  And it was then that it struck me deeply how much these women have really found a place in my heart forever.  And I could tell that the nurse, Patty, was just as happy that we got blood today as I was.  She really cares.    And then we all laughed at each other about how silly it was that this kind of thing is what makes us happy.  Sad, right?

Then there is Andre.  The polish guy that holds all of us women together.  I don't even know his title, I just know that if there is ever a problem, Andre will solve it.  He is there to make you laugh when you are crying.  To fix the messed up schedule, to calm the fires.  The juggler, the enabler.  He told every single person whether he knew them or not about my wedding, and that I was now married.  And in that same vein, he shouted down the hallways the exciting news that the cancer was gone.  His heart is HUGE.  He is the father to us all. 

And I can't forget to mention Lupa.  Oh my goodness, Lupa, the chef sent from the heavens.  She takes such good care of us. She feeds us delicious, organic lunches everyday.  She gives us mushroom tea, kombucha, and green tea.  She gives us good advice, and really really cares.  And feeds us WELL. 

And I can't help but mention Dr. Kimberly.  She has been there from the very beginning.  I knew her before Progressive. She has been there with the most loving support from the beginning--it floored me actually.  She isn't my doctor proper, but everyday she says hello with smiles, and gives me hugs, and her warmth is genuinely appreciated.  She is beautiful inside and out, and I am lucky to know her.   

So I started this post to give tribute to my experiences with the friends I've made at Progressive.  There are so many brave souls that I have met. Each one has his or her own journey, and we all come together at this point in time and travel it together for awhile.  They've touched my life, and I would have never met them if it weren't for this. 

And now, speaking on friendship.  I've made the most unconventional type of friend.  Franny, who I was introduced to from my dear friend Lopes.  Lopes wrote me one day and asked if she could share my blog with her friend Franny who was just diagnosed with Hodgkins lymphoma.  I said of course, and since then, we developed a special kind of friendship. The one that develops due to shared experiences.  She has an amazing story herself, and I am already in awe of her. She lives in Juneau, Alaska, has a husband, and two young daughters, one that was just born a few short months ago.  Wow, what a heavy thing to go through right now.   I told her that I already felt some sort of connection with her--and it made me realize why people like support groups so much.   I asked her if it was okay to share her blog with you all because I absolutely love reading it.  Her outlook is so positive, and she, like me, has an incredible support group.  So yes!  Here's to survival, and perseverance.  Thank you Franny!  http://forthepiroshkies.blogspot.com

Wow, this blog certainly breaks all the rules on keeping it short.  Whew!  If you made it this far, I applaud you!  I don't know what got into me.  I just know that I am sitting here feeling so grateful for what I have gotten out of this experience. I have made great friends.   What a thing to get out of a bad experience??  I will take it!! 

Much love to you all. 

5 comments:

  1. I read the whole post, Eve. You will never forget the fun you forged with your friends there. I'll never forget the songs playing on the radio when I was last in a hospital, at age 14, among a bunch of sailors: "Everybody loves a lover, I'm a lover, everybody loves me ..." and "When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie that's amore ...." It's all about love, it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jim!!! I can always count on you :) I love your story about the music and the sailors. Isn't it great how memories are burned forever like that? All about love...ain't that grand! Well, I LOVE YOU and I was so happy that I got to spend so much time with you during your whirlwind North American tour. I hope to see you again soon!! Hopefully Ka will post pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Eve! I just saw your comment on Grace's blog - and I came on over to take a look at yours. I see you are in Atlanta, well so am I! I was going through what you're going through just over a year ago...and just know that this will all be over soon. It's just a little blip on the radar. Congratulations on being cancer free! It's a fantastic feeling huh? Best wishes to you...from one survivor to another. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kerri, thank you so much for you comment and your encouragement. I went over and read you blog, and it was so nice to read. I hope you enjoyed the snow this weekend!!

    I have a question for you, if you don't mind me asking...Did your periods stop on chemo? And if so, have they returned? Sorry if this is too personal, but I am so curious. Mine have finally ceased, and I just worry about premature ovarian failure.

    Yours in health and again, thanks for stopping in !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never look forward to you "keeping it short". Your words are a joy to read Eve and I enjoy every one of them. You should continue to blog Eve, I think that we would all love to read about your life and your thoughts and your feelings. You are an excellent writer because you don't hold back and just write what you feel. We love you!

    ReplyDelete