Saturday, January 23, 2010

The Next Steps


So first of all, I'd just like to say THANK YOU to all of you out there who have held my hand throughout this journey.  It has been truly touching. 

Yesterday at work--of which I was there the entire day!!! was so sweet.  My office was like a revolving door with people coming in and hugging me, and doing the happy dance with me, and generally just being happy and sharing love and hope.  People told me that the office had a happy vibrant vibe yesterday.  I certainly felt it. 

And I've gotten calls, and Lia and Andrew visited last night just to hug me and celebrate.  

As for what is next...well, my oncologist said that if my PET scan came back negative after 8 treatments (4 rounds/4 months) then he would not recommend radiation therapy.  This is an utter blessing that my PET came back negative.  Now I don't have to fight the doctor on this--as I wasn't going to do radiation anyway.  And I can rest easier knowing that what we are doing is working.  I feel such gratitude.  ahhhh...yes!

He does want me, however, to continue chemotherapy for 2 more months--4 more treatments.  This doesn't make me very happy, as the thought of it turns my stomach. 

My dad coordinated an appointment with the MD whose protocol we are following for the adjunctive Vitamin C IV therapy, Dr. Jeanne Drisko.  She had my PET scan results, and I told her everything I have done in the past 4 months with regard to chemo, IV C, glutathione/lipoic acid IV, hyperbaric, diet, supplements.  And asked her if she thinks I need to continue on with the chemo these next two months. 

She said that if it were her, she probably would.  Even with all the other stuff that I am doing, we just don't know for sure if every little cell is gone.  She put it like this...these extra months of treatment are like insurance.  And if I am tolerating it well enough, then lets just keep going.  She's seen too many times where people relapse.  And that is not some place that I want to be. 

So, here we go...on for two more months, and well, I guess I can do it.  It will be done before we know it.  And, I am going to cut down my days at the alternative clinic from 4 days per week to 3 days per week.  And eventually down to 2, then 1, then every other week and once a month...So we have a plan now to wrap up that therapy now too. 

So there we are!  On the final leg of this journey.  Let's go on and get this over with!  It's time to think of all the other people out there who are struggling...friends, family, and even those I don't know like the ones  in Haiti. 

5 comments:

  1. You can do this Eve! You are so strong - we're all cheering for you to reach the finish line! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so very beautiful! I do love your spirit. Great talking with you today. You go girl. You take that insurance and run with it. Get it all out. Let your light shine. Love ya.
    Momma2

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here in Austin we are having our farewell party for Kathy and Luan. And so, Eve, we -- Jim, Deb, Bill, Peg, Dave, Brook, Luan and Kathy -- are celebrating your good news.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's sooooooo excited about this wonderful news that every time I think of it....I do a little dance! Even talking to my Aunt in Croatia over webcam, I told her and she literally scream in delight, so we did a little dance together!

    I read a quote today by Leonardo da Vinci and it made me think of you automatically, so I wanted to share it...."Obstacles cannot crush me. Every obstacle yields to stern resolve. He who is fixed to a star does not change his mind." I am just completely and utterly in awe of you and all of your strength! You have set such an amazing example in your fight for your life, health, and love that we can only be so blessed to get to experience it with and through you. Thank you for allowing us to be a part of this awesome YOU!

    So much love goes out to you! Lots of hugs! You are the best!

    ~Tijana & Pete

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love you Eve! Thanks for sending that energy back out and my way. I felt so wrapped in love and good scientific advice yesterday - a strange combo but just what I needed. How wonderful life is with you in the world (thanks Elton!).

    ReplyDelete