Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Let it Rain


So here I sit, another rainy summer (almost) night in Georgia.  The rain feels like a glorious blessing upon the hard, hot earth around us.  The lightening and thunder are a magical play between beauty and rage.  As I sit here on my porch, soaking it in, I can't help but feel content, safe, refreshed, cozy, loved.  There is something about a summer storm that stirs me.

First of all, I'd like to put out a huge thank you to all of you who have sent your love my way.  I have no words to describe how much it means to me that you spent the time to spread your love and open your heart in such a difficult time.  I need your love, and you totally delivered.  So I thank you from the bottom of my heart.  Goodness, my words can't even express my gratitude.  

The news I heard on Tuesday knocked the breath out of me.

"Possible recurrence"

"Suspicious nodes"

"this is shitty shitty news"

"remember, you are a survivor"

By some sort of grace...people say the grace of god....which, in this instance makes me believe, I was with my aunt Becky when Dr. Hamrick called me.  I was with Becky, she's a therapist/energy worker, because I knew that the waiting game excruciating.  I knew that she could help me move the energy that was stress, that was pain, that was fear.  We worked for 45 minutes on this before I even got the call.  And then, the phone rang, and I heard the news, and Becky held my hand tight and gave me confidence to keep listening.  Dr. Hamrick delivered bad news again, how many times now is this??? And again, he imbued kindness, and compassion, and courage and hope.  I still can't believe how much this meant to me, but his words, and his way...I carry with me.  He is a good doctor.  Becky is an amazing aunt.  She held me and sang to me and let me cry.  She even cancelled her next clients because she didn't want to leave me alone.  Expansive love.

When I hung up the phone with my doctor I experienced a rage like I have never had before.  I screamed like I had gone haywire.  I pounded pillows. I cried. I yelled.  Until I felt hollow.

And I sat with that for quite awhile.

Michael and my mom came to get me from Becky's.  Dad came later and we sat on our front porch for a long time processing, and being together, and trying to laugh.

So the news...there are three areas that are lighting up on the PET scan, all in the same area as I have have had before, in the mediastinium (heart area).  Two are very very small lymph nodes that are lighting up very dimly, barely above background.  The other is sort of a sheath that is above my heart, but in front of my thymus.  Dr. Hamrick consulted with Dr. Bashey, my bone marrow doc, and they decided that before we do anything, we need to do a biopsy of the area to confirm that there is even anything to worry about.

Patty sent the most elevating e-mail I've read in a long time listing several scientific articles talking about the incidence of false positives on PET scan with lymphomas after treatment.  From reading, it looks like we somewhere like a 40% chance that there is a false positive.  Wouldn't that be lovely!!??

Last night Patty and Mary came over for meditation.  I was present, kind of.  It was nice to have them there.  Our time together has been solid, and meaningful, and a transformation.  Where this goes, we don't know, but it feels deep, and real, and magical.   Michael cuddled me to sleep last night.  And this morning, I woke with a face swollen from crying like several bees had stung my face.

Mom picked me up at 7am, like old times! And we headed to Northside Hospital to meet with the surgeon.  I am scheduled for a biopsy on Monday morning.  So we hold our breaths and wait.  ... again...

I also had an appointment with the pulmonologist today because I failed my preliminary test with at the oncologist on Monday.  Back in January when I was tested I had perfect lung function, and now I am at 75%.  The good news is that it is repairable, and I just need to exercise the lungs and the body.

Mom has been keeping me company, and I really have enjoyed the perks of being 100 days past transplant.  I've enjoyed salads, shopping, walking around without a mask, and even enjoying moments where I take off my head scarf without caring what anyone else thinks.

So this past day has left me sitting in a depression that seems hard to shake. But it seems as if it is not coming from fear of the future, nor out of sadness or worry even.  What I feel is this.  I feel 1. angry, angry that I even have to deal with this, again.  2. jealous, jealous that other's have been healed from this and I keep struggling, (this is the "good cancer" after all), and 3. like a failure, a failure because I feel like if you just work hard enough, you can succeed (remember, I am an A student).  We've tried so many things, and still, we have to sit with this.

And just stating that makes me even more pissed off because all three of those statements are disgusting.  One, anger...well, this is life sweetheart, and shit happens.  Look at all the people suffering right now.  What makes you so special?  Two, jealousy?  I should be happy for the people who have survived and thrived, and I AM, but why can't it be me too?  And three?  well, everyone says this isn't your fault.  And yes, okay, it isn't.  Let's believe it.  

So speaking my mind does ease my suffering.  And in the words of my mother and husband....stop worrying about stuff that you don't even know to be true.  It is true that we don't know what is going on. We need more information.  So yes, that does bring comfort.

Where my mind goes to when it eases away from the suffering is that I can just imagine myself a month, or two months, or a year from now thinking how I've felt as recently as a week ago.  That this journey has been one that has been tough, but has been one of the best things that could have happened to me.   I have a richness to my life that wasn't there before, in mind, body and spirit.  I have made connections with people, myself, and the divine that trump any experience thus far.  I have soaked in the deliciousness of love, of living in the moment, and of appreciation and gratitude.  And I just hope that the lessons going forward will enrich these facets even more.  I believe they will.

So on with living.  I've decided that if I am not in treatment I am going to continue living my life FOR the living, and not put plans on hold because of the "what ifs".  Michael deserves it, and so do I.

Again, you all totally make the world go round.  Thanks for your love, for your kind words, for your support, your hope, and for just being you!  I look forward to many many more years with you.

Let It Rain

11 comments:

  1. Thinking of you on this rainy night, sending you love and hugs and kisses to your sweet, sweet self. I'm getting ready to turn in but wanted to say hi, and remind your of our goodnight call back when were roomies: Oink! Oink! Love you and Michael oh so much, Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eve...with every word you write/speak you blow my mind. I am forever inspired by your depth and your on going strength. I believe with all of my being that God has a plan for you! You are constantly in my thoughts and prayers. Even though we've only meet once I feel as if you are like a sister...cheesy I know! Keep living girl because you deserve it!
    With much love and constant prayers,
    April

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eve, I am always amazed and inspired by your outlook and your attitude. I am sure that it has got to be tough to stay positive but I love to hear your continued love and zeal for life and everything in it. Tragedy and hardship really have ways of showing you what actually matters in life and I can see how amazing your relationships are and how your friends and especially your family have rallied around you. I think about you a lot and especially when it rains. Keep fighting and find strength in everyone that cares about you and loves you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eve,
    I wish there was something I could say to ease your mind. Know this, you will pass through this storm and emerge into sunlight and happiness. You are an exceptional person and, you will look back at this and know it made you stronger. You are surrounded by wonderful people who love you deeply, and after all, that's all that matters. Michelle and I care for you and know everything will turn out okay. One day we will all lift our glasses and know that it was all worth it, even the really hard parts, because it got us to a better time. If you need anything please let us know. You are in our prayers.
    See you soon,
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy the rain and the sun and the wind and the air and all that surrounds you. You deserve it.

    Your strength and honesty and beauty are so inspiring to me and others. Thank you for reminding me that we all, no matter what our situation, have feelings and questions and doubts and frustrations, and that having them is not always fair but it is a part of life.

    You and Michael do deserve all of the wonder and beauty that this universe has to offer. May you both dive into and be fully immersed in the bliss of living, the beauty of caring, and the warmth of love.
    -Mel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your anger is as human and beautiful and natural as all the rest of it, and I love you all the more for it, and you should not experience a moment of guilt or shame because of it. It is only another manifestation of your perfection. And you are not a failure at anything--you are living, breathing, sobbing, smiling proof of life, its power and its persistence and its beauty. And I thank you for allowing me to witness such depth of love, no matter how it presents itself.

    -Bob.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought about you when it started to rain at our house last night. Love you, Eve!!! -Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I understand. When I was going threw everything i thought all of those things too. Its only human nature to think 'why me' so don't let yourself get down because of it. So chin up!!!! I know its hard to do it but don't let yourself get into that rut!!! If you ever need to talk I am here. ^__^

    You are in my thoughts and prayers,
    LOTS and lots of hugs.
    xoxo
    marisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. "The lightening and thunder are a magical play between beauty and rage."
    Evie, you are such a beautiful, courageous writer! Thanks for allowing all of us who care about you to share in your journey, your hopes and fears, triumphs and challenges. You are amazing.
    ON WITH THE LIVING!
    Love, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you can express these things Eve. There is no failure in this. You have done Herculean things to heal, you have done everything and so much more, so you cannot blame yourself for not doing enough. And look at all the beauty and good that you can see, even while you are in the midst of a very difficult time! That is success, not failure. The hardest times in life grow us, shape us, make us smarter, make us who we are. No one knows that until they live through a crisis. I think anger and jealousy are completely natural reactions that all of us would feel in the same situation so just feel it and keep moving. And after anger, then grief, then comes acceptance. And with acceptance comes solutions and plans for the future! And there is more than one way to skin a cat! I love you righteously girl! Cass

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eve, stay present to what IS, not the what ifs and not the "blob" that lingers around your heart. NOW is what is real and true. Easy for me to say, I know. All I know is that tomorrow means nothing if you do not live for TODAY.
    Many, many blessings,
    Much love,
    Kate :D

    ReplyDelete