Friday, December 24, 2010

Sleep sweet sleep....

Ah well, I couldn't have expected round two of ICE to go as smoothly as round one.  I mean, you start off healthy, so it is easier to combat the yucky side effects, but round two, your defenses are compromised.  For me so far it has been steroid-induced insomnia, LIKE NO SLEEP on Wednesday night.  And for those of you who know me, know that Eve on no sleep makes for one unhappy girl.  I have never once pulled an all nighter for school, I've always had to plan ahead enough to allow a little sleep, and I've been through A LOT of school!  I've always been the first one to poop out on late nights.  I love my sleep.  Period.  Like 8 or 9 hours of it.  It makes me a happy girl, easy to be around, positive, playful, and able to cope with the stresses in life (I might have a few right now).  So no sleep Wednesday night delivered a sobbing weepy girl to day two of chemo.  Not to mention I felt like I felt all the symptoms of chemo sickness much worse (probably because of the no sleep).  But, the nurses there were awesome and supportive and working quickly to get me some help for tonight as I was getting depressed that I had two more days of steroids to take!! 

Now, I am not a prescription med pill girl  (which if funny based on all the drugs I am putting in my body now--I mean healing elixirs!!!).  But frankly, I have gotten exhausted worrying about herbal/nutrient interactions with these chemo drugs.  I am doing this chemo and I want it to work.  So, I was given the choice to take Ambien.  And I said YES!  I need my sleep or else I am not going to make it (sobbing)!  Michael was worried about this because we've heard of all kinds of weird stories about Ambien and sleep walking.  And I am hooked up to this pump were I can't go anywhere besides a two-foot radius without it pulling on my port.  We teased and said he could hand-cuff me to the bed...With this chemo drug I also have to make sure I get up and pee every couple of hours because it can ruin my bladder.  I didn't want to just sleep through that. 

So it was a tough decision to finally make, but 9:30 rolled around and I felt the steroid jitters and started to freak.  So we cut the little pill in half and set Michael's alarm for couple hour increments to remind me to pee and compromised with that.  AND IT WORKED!!!!  I slept for almost 10 hours!! Like a baby!  I am just so happy!!!  Maybe you other fellow sleep-lovers will know the joy I am feeling right now. I do know many of you live in the mind set of :"sleep, who needs that?" (including my husband).

Anyway, kind of a simple check in and probably TMI.  But, I've got energy to put something down on paper this morning.  So yay!

I hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday season!!  I am looking forward to spending mine with family and friends.

Many blessings and love to you all!

5 comments:

  1. Woohoo! Glad to read this post. Can't have a crabby baby on Christmas Eve! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eve, I didn't know you were such a sleep baby. I am too! Went through college & a PhD with only one all-nighter... & that was 1 too many.
    Surely you'll sleep tonight too - or else Santa can't come!
    See you soon for a big hug! Love Patty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear this. And you also have a half pill left! Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love you both dearly. Can't wait to catch up on the 3rd. Love and kisses, Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I know this little pill. I love it. My mind just won't shut up as I try to get some) sleep.
    I have too much to do to sleep. But when needed and can't yes Ambien!!
    So happy for you!!!
    Happy New Year!!!!!
    momma2

    ReplyDelete