Wednesday, November 24, 2010

news

I am typing this post after watching beautiful sunset with my family over the marsh at the Aerie.  After the initial shock and emotional release, I am feeling amazingly calm for hearing bad news for the third time.   I asked Michael if I am handling this better because bad news gets easier to hear.  And he says well, yes, that can be, or it can be that you are stronger than you have ever been (Becky fiercly confirmed this to me today too), and we know that we can keep fighting and move forward.   This is our path now, and it is what it is.

Dr. Hamrick delivered the bad news with most kind spirit.  He said that the tumor has returned in my mediastinum (chest).  But, it hasn't spread to other organs, and he says we are in the same place as we were this summer before the biopsy.  I said, well, we gave it our best shot.  He responded without any hint of ego, but just pure encouragement and faith with saying you did what you needed to do, and we will keep fighting to beat this.   I won't forget his kindness. He e-mailed me the PET results and said in the e-mail enjoy my Thankgiving holiday and we will begin to fight again next week.  I read Love, Medicine and Miracles by Bernie Seigal this fall and think I lucked out finding a doctor who seems to fall into this special set of doctors who understand and embrace the doctor patient relationship.

So I am here with my family and I am going to enjoy this weekend for what it is...a celebration for the good in life.  Love, family, nature, laughter, and relaxation in a beautiful place.  ... a reminder for all that we are grateful for.

Part of me feels solid about going forward with this harsh treatment because I know we tried our best with the less toxic treatments.  They didn't work, but at least I won't be years out from a stem cell transplant, suffering from the side effects, and wondering what would have happened if I just took those three months to see if other things would work.  

This is the path we've chosen.  And I am surprisingly okay with it.  We held true to our beliefs, and still do.   There will still be fears, and sadness, and pain, but it won't last forever.  And thank goodness I have spent these past months really working on the mental/emotional/spiritual side of my life because that will help make this whole thing easier.

So next week I start ICE chemotherapy in preparation for and high-dose chemotherapy and autologous stem cell transplant.  This will heal me once and for all.  And, we do have the best medical care available for recovery from these treatments. 

Onward and upward.  My deepest love to  you all.  I wish you a very happy Thanksgiving and you better believe I will be thinking of you with gratitude in my heart.

...and p.s..  I am signing off, and what song comes over satellite radio while my family is buzzing around making a delicious dinner?  Shower the People you Love with Love by James Taylor.  It brings tears to my sappy soul...

7 comments:

  1. Oh, Eve. I'm so bummed about the news. But also so inspired by your spirit and your resolve to fight and beat this. Lots of love and hugs to you, dearest. Have a wonderful holiday with your wonderful family. xoxo Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love and hugs - C&L.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Evie girl, you are so brave and you have more strength than you know. Brian and I are sending you big hugs and you are in our hearts. Keep going strong. We're behind you all the way -- we love you so very much. K&B

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you so much Eve. Your strength and resolve give me hope for this world and everyone in it. You are stronger than you know and I think that deep in your heart that you know this as well. I am so proud that you took that step off of the path well known and decided to do things your own way. Now you will never look back in regret thinking "what if" as you said. You are brave and strong and bring so much light into all the lives around yours. Enjoy your weekend with your amazing families! All of our love to you.

    Lara

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dearest Evie,
    I just want send you my love and light from the purest part of me for it to reach the purest part of you, the part that is an infinite pool of overflowing love, spirit, and peace....the journey has certainly not been an easy one for you....but nothing lasts forever! I believe in your gorgeous spirit and the fight you have in you to conquer it all....

    I'm right there with you, sweet heart....just a bit ago, I took a long walk on the beach by myself, spending a snippet of time in solitude, and I thought of you...wishing for your peace!

    I love you...you are stong and beautiful soul that cannot be forced into submission!

    Love & light, from me to you....Tijana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Evie, I love you so very much. I know we don't see one another often but I think of you all the time and I just love you so much. You are a wonderful friend, a wonderful wife, a wonderful daughter and someday you'll have to teach me all that you've learned--and you were way beyond before this saga ever began! You are such a dear friend and you mean the world to me. Thinking of you this holiday weekend and sending you prayers of healing and strength and love! Sara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all, my dear friends, for your loving words. I feel so lucky to be loved by you. You totally rock!!!

    ReplyDelete