Monday, January 31, 2011

Friendship

www.paintingsbykate.com

Friendship can develop in the most unexpected ways. And I've been fortunate to experience this a few times since beginning this journey.  Cancer can take a lot from you, but I have found that it gives a lot back too.  It opens the space for greater possibility.  There is a richness to experience that comes after looking at life through different colored glasses.

I'd like to write today about the people I've made friends with because of this experience, and what a gift it has been.

I'd like to start with my now dear dear friend Dr. Lori.  We've talked many times before, professionally, going over Metametrix test results.  For a few months I noticed she wasn't on my calendar to consult with.  And when we finally reconnected I found out she was away treating cancer.  A few months later I found out about my cancer, and when it was difficult for her to reach me for consults I finally told her what was going on. We've bonded because of this big C word, but it has become much more than that.   We've never met, but she's become one of my favorite people to talk to on the phone (and for those of you who know me know I DON'T like to talk on the phone).   I've never met her but our friendship has developed strongly and deeply via shared experiences not only on the cancer realm, but on the living life realm.  I know we will meet one day, and have a long, loving embrace and then share lots of laughter and fun times.  (as a side note, as I was writing this, she called me!!!  We haven't talked in a couple of weeks because of all the craziness in each others lives, and now, while she is heavily on my mind, she calls.  I have a huge smile on my face.  I love the way she helps me process my fears, and experiences, and I also love how we can talk about fun stuff too.)

My next friendship developed after a short lunch shared together at one of the Metametrix seminars I lectured at.  M found out I was battling this by doing more research on Metametrix, and me, as the speaker, and stumbled upon my blog.  Since then she has become a devoted friend and checks on me frequently, sends the sweetest, most thoughtful gifts, and is THERE for me!  She is a gem (and SMART!) and I feel honored to know her.

My friends I've met at the alternative clinic where I received care for a year will always be a reminder of  the laughter we can experience despite the struggle.  To Karen, Laura, Robyn, Jim, Andre, Patty, Lupa, Sandy, and to Holly, Michelle who were brave and strong and loving.  

To Connie, Michael's aunt, whom I've never met.  She lost her husband to a many years long struggle with lymphoma.  Even though we've never met, she continues to send me sweet e-mails and encouragement.  Today is the 4 year anniversary since she lost her husband.   We joke that even though we've never met, it seems like we know each other.  I look forward to the day when we do meet. 

To Franny, who I've also never met.  We have a connection because we've both been diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma.  ...me a month away from getting married, and you a month after having your second baby.  Neither time good for hearing the news (if there ever is a good time), but you with two children to survive for.  I am so happy to know you, so happy that you've shared your experience via blog, and so happy that you are cancer free and singing again.

A few weeks after hearing the news that I relapsed my aunt Patty offered to get together each week and practice Taoist meditation with me.  She'd come to my house and bring her friend Mary whom she'd been meditating with for years.  We'd just see what would develop, and at the time we thought I might be going straight into stem cell transplant, so it might be a lot of sitting around watching me sleep...But the three of us  have been getting together since August, once a week, meditating, doing readings, guided movement, energy work, talking, laughing, crying, emoting...it has been amazing, incredible, life changing.  I am so grateful for Patty and also so happy to know Mary.  She is an amazing woman.

Next doesn't technically fall into a new friendship, but a changed friendship.  Dr. Hartle, my major advisor in graduate school, has been so amazingly supportive during this tough time.  I see her brilliant heart lights shining bright with her strong words of encouragement, love, and the most amazing ways of creating visualizations for healing.  I won't forget it, and will certainly pull up her e-mails when I am feeling crummy and needs words of encouragement.

And finally, the most recent friendship developed is with Kate Blue.  Remember this post when I went searching for a picture to post and found this amazing artist named Kate Blue, with her painting, Walk the Path?  Well, she has the computer technology to know when people have used her photos illegally and she caught me!  But instead of being angry, she has been the most kind person!  We've developed a sweet friendship and she is rooting me on!  She even offered to paint me my own soul painting and DID!!  See above :) :)  I absolutely LOVE love love this painting and it is on the altar in the basement where we meditate.  each time I look at it I see something different.  It is a painting that speaks, it has words, and imagination.  It is very special.  She did a reading too, before the painting, and asked her spirit guides about me.  I am totally stunned by this act of kindness.  And to top it all off, I just got a t-shirt in the mail from her, with hand-painted hearts on it. Please check out her website, she has so much to offer...www.paintingsbykate.com  I really can't believe the kindness of strangers. It changes my whole world and makes me realize the importance of human interaction.

So here is a post to honor my newly made friendships. I in no way want to undermine those who I've been friends with and are there for me 100%.  Your love means the world and really does keep me going.  Love makes the world go round, (and makes Evie want to fight even harder!!!).

My love to you all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment