Sunday, February 13, 2011

Platelets (with updates!)

I am here at the doctor today to check my counts.  They were low on Friday.  And we just found out they are even lower today.  I am trying not to worry...it is amazing where my brain goes.  I wish there was someone here I could talk to and ask if this is normal even though I am taking nupagen?  My bones aren't hurting like everyone said they would, and my counts are still low...white blood cells, 0.3 where normal is 4.8-10.8.  But it is known that the chemo I got  last Friday causes the lowest counts 7-10 days after...which is now...so it is probably all fine.  I just never noticed before because we weren't monitoring my blood everyday.

But they say I need platelets today.  So now we are waiting for Atlanta Blood Services to drop off platelets for transfusion.  I am scared.  I have never received blood products before. But my platelets are 17,000 when normal is 150,000.

The patient next to me just got platelets and now he is feeling some reaction and the nurses are paying him attention.  I can't take Benedryl and they don't have an alternative.  If I have a reaction they are going to have to shoot me with hydrocortisone.

But, Michael is here with me.  He helps keep me grounded.  We are working on our photo book from our trip to Oregon.  That makes me happy.

Please send your love and most importantly your strength today.  I know you will, you always do.

p.s  things you learn around here...take your hat off and let your ears breathe before they take your temperature from your ear-drum.  If not, they freak out when the thermometer reads 99.4!  I almost got antibiotics again...but I let my ears breathe and it came down to 97.9.  ... sheesh...

UPDATE:
I have successfully received my first bag of donor platelets!  I am so very grateful for whoever was kind enough to spend the time to donate these.  The kindness of strangers is pretty amazing.   Secondly, I did not have a reaction!!  And I was spared having to get benedryl OR hydrocortisone!  And thirdly, I want to thank Skype for getting me connected with my dear friend Dawn who called in just as the platelets were just beginning to go in.  She was there for me with love and support and strength...I asked and she gave.  And it has been like that since day one.  Dawn has always always been there on my rough days, just when I need her most.  Thank you Dawn.  And finally, my women's circle Skyped me in!!!!  AHHH!!  How cool is that??  They put my little computer face head in the circle and I got to be there for check-in :)  All while sitting here in the infusion center with platelets bringing me life.  I just love those women and are so grateful for them!

So we are done.  Time to pack up the computer and enjoy the rest of this beautiful sunny day!

Love you all!

UPDATE 2:
On our way out of the infusion center I ran into a nurse practitioner.  Now was my chance to ask about the low blood counts and if it was normal.  She calmed my fears and said yes, don't worry.  It takes time for the cells to come back after chemo even with the nupagen.  So okay...exhale...and I did, and Michael and I came home, made a healthy and tasty lunch and went out for a long walk to enjoy this sunny 65 degree weather.  :)

5 comments:

  1. Sending love & strength to you Evie! I think you will feel an even bigger push for love & strength between 1-3 today. Speaking of which, I will be bringing my laptop to women's circle with me from here out so whenever you are wanting to be skyped in, text me and let me know. *hugs & more love & strength*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Holly, thank you! I was SO looking foward to Skype'ing in today for women's circle. Cass and I went through a dry run this morning. I might be able to call in for the first part just to say hi! I love you women, and am so grateful for you in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When Holly got home she told me how they Skyped you into the circle today. That is so cool. :)

    Love you Eve, and wishing you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sound strong. Like a cancer pro. All the 'consultants' thoughts are with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you too Jamey. You have always been so encouraging and supportive and I thank you!! It was such a thrill to be in circle on Sunday. :) :)

    And Betsy, thank you!! I miss all of you "consultants" and will be back soon!!! It was fun to call into grand rounds today and hear all of you.

    ReplyDelete